Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Things I Learned Traveling with my mother


When my mother told me my Christmas gift this year was to go on vacation with her to Florida, I wasn't sure what to think.  We hadn't traveled let alone stayed together in the same place for years, and by years I mean years and years and years.
The catch, she was going to pay for my Amtrak ticket down to Florida, and I had to get myself home.  Oh, and it was on the auto train and coach, because you know how bad can that be?  See previous blog about that -
We were staying in Cedar Key Florida, which when you tell most people, even in Florida they are  - HUH?  Where?  Cedar Key on the west coast about 2 hours past Gainseville, an old fishing village that has turned into a bit if an artists colony and weekend biker hangout.

The first thing I learned, is that when in the car, the driver gets the front cup holder.  So when you have a bottle of water or a coffee and you are the passenger, your cup or bottle is behind the drivers.  Always. 
Then when you arrive at the place you are staying, hang your clothes up, you can see examples of how that worked out for me here.
My Closet

Where the rest of my clothes stayed throughout the trip

My Mothers Closet
In the morning, you should make your bed.  I did explain the article I read that said making your bed can help foster growth of dust mites and other microscopic creatures, so I chose not to make my bed.  
my bed
My Mothers bed








We were going to walk everywhere, and get 10,000 steps in a day.  I think our best day was over 6.000 which I thought was pretty darn spectacular considering back home it is -10degrees out and I wouldn't have made 600 steps anywhere.
The first few days, we alternated the leather reclining chair as a place to watch t.v.  Mom raved about how great the chair was, but I think because she had bought one of her own for her house, maybe she didn't care so much.  Because by the 5th or 6th day she didn't seem to care if I got the chair and she settled for the couch.  Not sure maybe she forgot who's day it was and I just didn't want to rock the boat by reminding her it was really her day. 
I also learned that I am just as forgetful as my mom, when she asked me to remember something for her, for the life of me I couldn't even remember that she had asked let alone what it was.  I still don't remember why we went to the store one afternoon.  I know we needed something and I know we never got it.
I think her way of remembering things, T for toilet paper, L for locks, would be a great idea for anyone that can remember, 1 there is something to remember, 2 what the letters are so you can then try to remember what the letters were for.
Driving with my mom.  For 2 weeks I did not drive at all.  She drove us everywhere.  When she said she was tired, I offered to drive, when I thought she was tired I offered to drive.  Either my mother really likes to drive, or she is like me, or I am like her, and as long as I am conscience I prefer to drive thank you very much.
However, my mom prefers to drive the speed limit, which is in an of itself is not a bad thing, but when she didn't know what the speed limit was she erred on the side of OHMYGOD COULD YOU GO ANY SLOWER... It wouldn't have been so bad but where we were there was a 2 lane highway- really road that stretched for miles and miles with no stop signs, no traffic signals and no speed limit signs.  When the locals who do 75-80 down the road got behind her they zoomed past as soon as they could.  The funniest part was when she was behind a super slow old guy, driving at least 35 for 20 miles, and then he started to turn right, and slowed down for that she was "could you slow down anymore? C'mon!" 
We left Cedar Key and went to Mt. Dora on Saturday since I was catching the train on Sunday afternoon, it would be easier for her to continue to her next place.  We went to Renningers Flea Market - see that here Steampunk at Renningers  and on the day we were there it was Steampunk madness.  Now I know what steampunk is, my mom didn't.   She kept saying " get a picture get a picture!"  I did ask one guy if I could take his picture and I tried to get her to stand next to him,  She wouldn't do it... 
A tragic loss of a great photograph.
The last night before I left, she wanted me to remind her of something, and it threw her into a fit of giggles, (which in itself is really funny to see) but every time she said W, what was W for, problem was SHE knew what it was she wasn't supposed to forget and I was supposed to help her remember but I couldn't even remember the letter. 
I am my mothers daughter, from the flea markets and thrift stores we couldn't pass  just because they were there, to wide hips we have called the hug ass, after my great grandmothers family name, as they seem to all have the large backside.  and sometimes when I open my mouth my mother comes out ...

1 comment: